Saturday, March 20, 2010

Settling in

So we arrived safely in Oregon on March 6. We spent Sunday riding around but the weather didn't cooperate and our asses were tired from being the car for so long. Monday, March 8 I made 2 trips to the Portland airport (PDX). First at 430am to drop off Bailey and again at 9am to drop off my dad. After the second trip to the airport I returned to the MINI and sat for a second in the car, alone. I hadn't been alone in my car in 8 days and it was a little weird. As the MINI and I drove back to our new home it was amazing to think of all of the new things I would get to experience as a result of making this move.

I spent the first few days just getting to know the area around the apartment. We live in Hillsboro, OR. Without traffic it is about 20 mins from the Portland city center. It is a cute little community. Dan and I spent his two days off getting the apartment in order and showing me around.

Now I have a pretty good hang of it, even though I got lost the other night. Nothing a GPS can't fix.  So I've spent the past few days getting around town, checking out all of the grocery stores-  there are 3 within walking distance- and just getting familiar with my surroundings.


This morning, March 20, I woke up and went  to the opening day of the PSU (Portland State University) Farmers Market. It was fun. All these different people, stands, and so much fresh good food. I was in heaven. I bought spinach, broccoli raab, lamb  shanks, lamb sausage, fresh made pancetta, buffalo sirloin, and homemade bacon. I'm looking forward to getting to know some of the vendors and experience the seasonal change in the produce.


After the Farmers Market I headed for the coast. We have been having some beautiful weather lately so I wanted to take advantage of it. I've decided that I really like Canon Beach. So named for some old canon that washed up on shore, or something like that. It is a great little beach town and has some really spectacular scenery. Certainly I would not get in the water because it is freezing, but it is fun to watch the dogs go at it with such joy and children with such disregard for the weather.


There is some amazing scenery at this beach- totally foreign to me  because I am used to flat beaches. The rocks jutting up from the ocean and the images of where the mountains meet the sea will never cease to amaze me.
There is also a very famous lighthouse just off the coast that is one of the most photographed images on the west coast. You can get closer by going into the Ecola State Park, which is a harrowing experience. The roads are super narrow and in some places there is no shoulder- just a straight drop down the hill. Its a heart pounding ride. I captured this photo from a much safer location.
 And with that my friends I end my journey to Oregon. I can now navigate around my little burb with some confidence and Dan is getting totally spoiled with the excellent dinners I've been making in my new found free time. I miss you all and hope that one day you will come visit us.

Love,
Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment